Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Should I rename this blog "Oh, the Humanity"?


OUR INTENDED PURPOSE

Eh, probably not. But I am continually noting the minutae of human-overload type circumstances that are pissing me off frequently. In the context of the museum, I can accept it as a part of what is a public service, which is to be tolerated in a humorous way. But my Sunday forays of musical Escape-ism in Dupont Circle are somewhat sacred, and spiritual, and not to be interfered with. Unfortunately, Dupont Circle, being such a hive of activity these days has gotten to the point of over-saturation.

This past Sunday, June 1st, found our modestly amplified unit unintentionally competing for space with
Yellow-Shirted Scientologists in a tent, handing out flyers.
Red-Shirted "Make Hip Hop Not War" kids, activists, whatever they are, with full PA blaring, hyping and hollering horribly in what I felt was unwelcome deja vu of the DJ i heard the night before. How unneccessary! From the fountain, they had their speakers pointed west, but at one point someone turned a speaker to the east side of the park, directly at us. Immediately, to the shock of my cohorts, I brazenly stepped to the amateur edu-tainers and demanded they turn the speaker west. They complied, and I was hailed for my heroics of good taste. Playing resumed.

Today's visit to DuCi was marked by the handing out of re-usable shopping bags, courtesy of MLB, promoting the All-Star Game. I no longer collect such "Collectors Items" and already have several re-usable bags from Whole Foods, which don't get used enough. Will this mass-marketing target campaign at this locale ever end?

No comments: