Thursday, January 17, 2008

Let me take a moment to show my age.


The battle for the statement of "Music is my life" broads a clear divide between mature adults and juveniles. To adults, musical appreciation comes after decades of following one's acquired taste, retaining and disposing of material intrinsic to one's formative identity. To the young and impressionable, a song can come out of nowhere, hit you and your friends like a ton of bricks, and radically effect your dress, your speech, your attitude, your social compact.

I first heard of Souljah Boy yesterday, seeing the video for "Report Card" for 30 seconds before dinner and thought Rap music hit a new low. Apparently this is not a minority opinion. But with the record industry in the toilet and music being relegated to something your set up a cell phone ring tone with, this is the pantheon of the medium???

This guy has sold 3 million LEGAL downloads for Crank That, not much better a tune as any.

Just to reflect, I'm sadenned for people. Not to sound superior, I was once a Heavy Metal Cheesewad festooned with Pentagrams and such and thought all quality music was played loud and fast, with Satanic themes, and I don't think I even learned to dress properly until my mid 30s. And I know the NFL/MLB/NBA merchandising is big coin, it looked bad 20 years ago when logos were cheesier and you just had hats, shirts and warmup jackets in sizes S-XXXL, but now it's getting out of control.
And the music itself, which I've heard maybe 45 seconds of, is far from Chuck D levels of intelligence.

Sigh, I should just change the channel on my Yuppie-digital tube and that God I'm not a substitute teacher.

No comments: